My blog has been live for about two weeks now, but it feels like so much longer. I’ve spent these weeks promoting the few posts I had published, rather than writing new ones, and working toward my first blogging goals. Before QMC launched, I wrote a post on what I wanted to accomplish before May began, which I would consider my first full month of blogging.
My first blogging goals were baby steps. I wanted to increase my social media following a bit, and continue setting up the back end of my site, namely a mailing list. Did I do it?
- Goal: 100 Instagram followers. Yes, above and beyond! 141 followers (+46)!
- 10 Pinterest followers. Yes sir! 33 followers (+24).
- 8 Twitter followers. Yes, but…I’m not sure I’ll stay on Twitter. I have no idea how to use it, and is it really great for image-based blogs? (+3).
- Set up Facebook page. Indeed! Give me a like, why don’t ya!: https://facebook.com/queermyclosetblog
- Create mailing list. Done and done. Sign up in the sidebar for updates, previews, and exclusive content!
I also wanted to write out a content calendar, and learn to schedule social media posts. Though my calendar is just pen on paper (I’m old-school like that ;)), I’ve been using Buffer to schedule posts. It’s free service is perfect for my needs, and super easy to use! That’s definitely eased my blogging workload.
By all accounts, I met my first blogging goals. I got the social media followers I hoped for, and started getting organized. But even better, I got comments, on both my intro post and my first outfit post! Those first comments really showed me the supportive community blogging can create, and will give me something to remember when I doubt myself.
So what’s next for my first full month? My goals are…
- 200 Instagram followers
- 50 Pinterest followers
- 5 Facebook likes
- At least a few email subscribers (any amount–my emails are lonely!)
I also want to:
- Join at least one Pinterest group board
- Become more active in Facebook groups
- Take a blogging course
- Tweak my header and logo
My First Big Takeaway:
I learned a lot in a short time, but my major lesson was this:Don't try to do everything at once. Corollary: Focus on your blog's content.Click To Tweet It was really easy to get sucked into Facebook groups, Pinterest pins, and social media promotion, but that just took attention away from the blog, where it really needed to be. Content is the priority!
I can’t wait to see what next month brings!